Sunday, April 12, 2009

RIP: An angel and ancestor Nichole L. Shields...

One of Chicago's literary sistas has made her transition. It's hard to type that. I am very stunned right now b/c i just talked to this sista via email on Thursday, so to receive an email that she passed on Friday is blowing me.

Nichole L. Shields.

We always had a running joke b/c we'd call each other 'the other Nic(h)ole'. One of my middle names is also Nicole.

This sista was very inspirational and helpful to me when I started UnSilenced Woman Press and in offering guidance when I published my first book of poetry and prose. In addition, she has also been very supportive of the work we do as AquaMoon. Oh an, she gave camil a blurb for her book...

She said the following about butta to fly by camil.williams (Aqua)

"camil’s voice resonates all that a conscious writer of the 21st century must possess: truth, respect for language, insightfulness, and a sincere heart.

Nichole L. Shields
Author/Gwendolyn Brooks Archivist

For what would have been Mama Gwendolyn Brooks 90th earthday AquaMoon and Brooks Permission did a poetry reading in honor of Mama Gwen. I think that was the last time I actually saw Nichole read poetry.

This sista was a peach. Down to earth. And o' so classy. Her short do, tall stature and distinct voice were all distinct, but it is her generosity and kind heart that I will remember and miss the most.

My favorite poem by Nichole was also her signature piece...

Momma in Red

They said that the only reason
my momma wore a red
dress to her daddy’s funeral
was because she hated him
and was just being sassy

I know she wore it
because it was
the only one she had!

How befitting the title of her first book, One Less Road To Travel.

Life is too short, no matter how long it is....

Love,
Moon

3 comments:

  1. Nichole was a friend of mine and I echo everything you said. She truly was one of those rare individuals you are lucky to know. Blessed to know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Services for Nichole L. Shields


    As you know, because Nichole was so loved and adored by us all, the services for her have been changed as follows:

    Viewing: Friday from 2:00 pm to 8:00 pm

    At Corbin Memorial Chapel
    5345 W. Madison
    Chicago, IL 60644
    773-626-1092


    Wake: Saturday from 10:00 am to 11:00 am
    Services: 11:00 am to 12:30 pm

    At Union Hill Missionary Baptist Church
    600 S. Tripp Avenue
    Chicago, IL 60624

    Sentiments of condolences can still be sent to the family in care of Nichole's mother:

    Barbara Turner
    555 W. Madison, #503
    Chicago, IL 60661



    Viewing: Friday from 2:00 pm to 8:00 pm

    Wake: Saturday from 10:00 am to 11:00 am
    Services: 11:00 am to 12:30 pm

    Expressions and condolences can be sent to the family in care of Nichole's mother:

    Barbara Turner
    555 W. Madison, #503
    Chicago, IL 60661

    ReplyDelete
  3. I miss my girlfriend so much. She would always call me and say, 'What's up girlfriend or "Hey, RoTilda". Yes, she made that name up for me. LOL! She was going to be apart of my Wedding this Sept. and she was so happy for me and willing to do what ever she could to make my day special. There is such a void but I did tell my friend, " I love you girl" the last time I saw her which was when she walked me out of her place after we had our chicken dinner from Kentucky and she gave me books for my daughter and the best smelling candles ever. I MISS MY FRIEND!
    Rocherr Landrum

    ReplyDelete